Friday, July 30, 2010

Look What I've Been Doing?

Jimmy's parents have a store at this flea markety thing in the city. It is totally cool. It is mostly Hispanic people who own stores there and who shop there, so going there you sort of feel like you've walked into Mexico. There's always Spanish music blasting in the different booths, and the smell of Mexican food from the food court. You can also buy a lot of very inexpensive, Made-In-Mexico products that you won't find in normal stores.
A few years ago Monkeyboy saw this video game system there, called Superjoy. It was the kind that doesn't have a box and cartridges. It just consists of two controllers. You plug them into the TV, and wala, up comes a list of about 7,500 video games that are pre-loaded into the system. (I'm not exactly exaggerating here. The game lists 7,500 games. But most of them seem to be different versions of about 50 games.) The games are old, classic, arcade-style.
Including... the original Super Mario Brothers! I'm talking about the 1986 version that came packaged with the Nintendo system! My brother and I got that for Christmas when I was about eight. Before that, we had ColecoVision, and also played a lot of Atari with our teenaged uncle. But all of our friends were getting Nintendos... and when we got it, we played it nonstop! We only had the two games that came with the system, so we played Super Mario over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
So, anyway, Monkeyboy got SuperJoy from the flea market several years ago. He played it a few times, and forgot about it.
Then, just recently, he found it packed away in the attic, and plugged it in downstairs. In the room I sleep in! Now, everyone is addicted to it, including me! I play it with Little Bear just about every morning as soon as we wake up. She is amazed that I already know all of the "secrets" of the game, like how to get the invisible "one up" mushrooms that give you extra lives, and where to find the secret warp zones that let you skip levels. I've never been able to play any of the newer 3-D games. They confuse me! But this one is great!
SuperJoy has other old Nintendo games like Excite Bike, and Tetris. And it even has even older games that I used to play on ColecoVision, like Popeye and Donkey Kong! I could play those 7,500 games all day long!
So... thats one of the places you can find me these days...

2 comments:

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I totally remember the old video games! Sounds like fun on a summer morning!

Anonymous said...

How fun and retro! It sounds like you're having fun.

Post a Comment

Leave us a message!