Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Minute

While reading blogs I found this meme, Monday Minute, which has been changed to Mission Monkey Minute for mysterious reasons I don't fully understand yet. So here are my answers for Mission Monkey Minute!


Photobucket

1 - How old do you act?

Most people say I act about thirteen, sometimes younger. On the other hand, I have a lot of family responsibilities, so sometimes I act much older! Having ADHD and Aspergers contributes to my being immature a lot of the time.

2 - As far back as you can remember, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An author! My mom says I started "writing" as soon as I could talk! I would scribble on sheets of paper and "read" my stories to her. I still want to be an author... and I have self-published a few books on Lulu.com.

3 - If you were to write a book based on your life, what would the title be?
Crazy Eyes!

4 - What's something that you do that's considered "childish" by most?
Cry easily, I get very emotional. Also I love to color with Crayolas.

5 - The last question isn't a question. Write a story of a time of when you or someone you know overcame great adversity.
I suppose I have overcome great adversity, although not as well as I wish I have! I was homeless when I was a teenager. I have lived on the streets, in shelters, in motels, in crashpads, in cars, in crackhouses, and more. I was generally always surrounded by people who used lots of drugs, drank a lot, were violent. One of my problems was that I was always able to see the good in people, and I trusted people a lot. Most of the people I knew who did bad things were not, at heart, bad people... They just didn't make very good choices. They had a lot of anger inside them. But even though I was around ex-convicts and gang bangers, most people were very kind to me... with only a few exceptions! My major triumph, although it isn't much, is that I have managed to survive, without hurting myself or anyone else. Although I was always around people who did drugs, and I even lived in two crackhouses, I never did drugs. I saw what they did to people, how they robbed people of their souls, and I never wanted to do that to myself. I took care of the children of drug addicts, and raised a couple of them for a few years. When I was homeless as a teenager, I kept my wits about me. A lot of homeless teens turn to drugs to cope, and turn to prostitution or crime to survive, but I refused to do these things. I preferred to go to soup kitchens or ask for food in restaurants. I kept myself reasonably safe, and once even tricked a near-rapist into letting me go, by telling him I was very thirsty and needed to go to the store to buy a Seven-Up and that I'd be right back. Another huge triumph for me is that, although I have been hurt a lot, physically and emotionally, by people, I have kept love in my heart. I still see the good in people. Because of that, I still often get hurt by people who make poor choices. But I would rather love than hate.

Your turn! If you'd like to join this meme (although I guess Monday is already over) visit Dose Of Reality.

2 comments:

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I think that you have indeed accomplished much given the difficulties and environments in which you survived. And caring for other people's children the way you have done just shows what an amazing, generous soul you are. You inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Nicki,

That's the most amazing post I read EVER! Kudos to you for overcoming all those adversities. Truly commendable!

The more I read about you, the more I see me in you. I am just like you. I trust people, even after they betray that trust, I give them chances.

I feel people are always nice to me.

I also belive all people are basically good, and they just make bad choices in life.

You are just too good at putting words to what I have in mind!

Post a Comment

Leave us a message!